Your website needs to be mobile friendly. The fact that we still have that conversation with business owners in 2020 is crazy! Run a mobile friendly test now! Those website platforms that were developed years ago may no longer serve you well.
If you’re using a platform like Squarespace, Shopify, Wix, etc. you’re likely safe. It really doesn’t hurt to run a mobile friendly test. If you find some issues, those platforms have great support that can quickly resolve issues.
Table Of Contents
- Where Does Mobile Rank in SEO
- Run A Website Mobile Friendly Test
- Check Your Website’s Mobile-Friendliness
- How Many Mobile Visitors Are You Getting?
- What To Do If Your Website Isn’t Mobile Friendly
Where Does Mobile Rank in SEO
Search Engine Optimization is easy. Give users what they want…FAST! It’s really that easy, that’s the code that Google cracked. Not long ago, there were more search engines than we could name. Google won the race by becoming the search engine that give the users what they want fast with amazing accuracy.
In 2016 Google starting switching websites to mobile-first indexing. You likely received an email with this notification. Bottom line is more and more users were accessing websites from mobile devices.
Google then put a lot of importance on mobile friendliness, website speed, and quality of content. If you do these things right, you’ll get so far ahead of your competitors, it’ll make their heads spin.
Run A Website Mobile Friendly Test
Google provides a great tool for you to check your website mobile friendliness. Click on the button below to visit their testing function. It only take a few minutes.
Check Your Website’s Mobile-Friendliness
If you’re a concerned small business owner, there’s a quick test to see if your website is giving your visitors the best experience:
1- Open your website on a desktop computer
2- Resize the window using your cursor (shown in the video below)
3- As you resize, the website should be “morphing” into a smaller screen version.
4- If your website’s mobile version doesn’t appear like the video below, call me instantly! The good news is you may not need a completely new website. We can usually update sites to be mobile-friendly.
How Many Mobile Visitors Are You Getting?
If you have a Google Analytics account connected to your website, you are likely receiving emails with the graphs explaining your data (as shown below). This data is important in tracking your marketing efforts. They also give you much insight into your visitors. You can find out about their demographics, website clicks, and much much more.
I’ve recently received a bunch of analytics from my customer’s websites. Late in 2019, I noticed that almost all my customer websites were receiving at least 50% of their visitors via mobile. Only 8 months later, the results are even more staggering.
- 100% of websites have more mobile clicks then desktop
- 1 website saw as much as 82% of mobile traffic
- Tablets are virtually insignificant traffic sources
*I selected a variety of websites with varying numbers of visitors and industries
How Do Search Engines Value Mobile Friendliness
- Responsiveness of the design
- Mobile Device – ease of use
- Website speed
- Proper interstitials
What To Do If Your Website Isn’t Mobile Friendly
Don’t panic! There’s a host of solutions that won’t break the bank. Converting a website can be a simple process or a complete revamp. It’s important that you discuss this with your web team. Side-note: Your business deserves a website that can grow with it. It should also be refreshed every 2 years max.
if you did the website mobile friendly test above and you need help and you plan on talking to web companies, use these questions to guide your conversation:
- Request quotes from at least 3 companies.
- Be selective. This is going to be your only 24-hour employee and the most important marketing piece for your business.
- DO NOT request quotes by email.
- Talk to the person on the phone or in person. You can quickly find out if they are the right fit for your business.
- Can you convert my existing website to mobile?
- Depending on the age of your website there could be a simple cost effective solution.
- They may recommend switching to a different platform. Generally website builders (like Wix, Squarespace, GoDaddy, etc.) are way behind on SEO. WordPress is a much better option.
- Do you have time for this kind of project soon?
- Don’t get into a relationship without establishing the timeline.
- Do I need a completely new website rebuild?
- Depending on the age of your website, it is sometimes required to start fresh. Take this opportunity to review your content as well.
- Inquire if you can assist with the content collection. Sometimes you can assist in the build to help save costs.
- Write the new content
- Take new photos
- Research keywords
- Can you incorporate my business tools?
- You may want to include your online booking, cam, etc.
- Are you proficient in SEO?
- Lots of web companies are great with appealing designs. Their knowledge of SEO is extremely important for your new website to be ranked and seen.
- This is maybe the most important question of all.
For more tips to help make your website even better click here. You can read all the tips we have for you to get more business using your website.
Are you ready to go but need a bit of a boost or more information? Kindly reach out and I will gladly explore your needs with you.